Quite unusual wine bottle with capacity of 500 ml (instead of 750 ml). It’s perfect for a small, slender flower vase. Usually it’s easy to cut bottles because glass cutter is perpendicular to the bottle, but in this case I had to struggle a little harder. Boiling and cold water finished the job. 5 grits of sandpaper – W.I.P. – top and outside. Sanding drums – 3 grits, 1 inch mandrel, very good results. Polishing compound and buffing wheel to clean the surface. Visual size comparison (500 ml can) and the vase reflecting the surrounding lawn. Beautiful colours!
Green and golden t-light holder
Cutting the bottle was easy as always, but sanding was extremely quick and easy. I used 4 different grits of sandpaper for the outer edges and just 1 grit for the inside ones. It looks quite decent. There is no need to go crazy with sanding in this project. This edge will be always faced down. Preparing for painting – that cardboard circle on top was supposed to help to paint a transition between the top and the bottom, but it actually failed. It did no job at all. I wasn’t happy with the results when I applied the first…
Tea light glass holder
My glass cutting station has been officially moved to the shed. 3-inch C-clamp is now replaced by the 4-inch one. Different frame to hold to. Champagne bottle during the cutting process, hot and cold water was used to crack the glass. Quick sanding. Using low and high RPM’s was kind of cheating, there was no need to change sanding discs so often – it had to be a quick project. Sanding the inner edges, something I don’t like. Matt finish, after all this thing is going to be used upside-down. Quick project it was. Bottle bottoms are not especially nice…
Sanding station is ready to go. The sanding starts from 40 grit sanding disc. This is how it’s changing: 3000 grit is the last one, 1-inch sanding bands are the next. This one can only be used with round bottles. This is 1500 grit. Polishing compound is applied to the felt disc. This will give a beautiful finish to this project. Washed and cleaned. Ready to use. It was quite easy and quick project.
Table saw tray
Its purpose is to facilitate putting the saw back in place after use and to move it with ease around the shed. Steel and wood along with 4 castors make the frame. Quick planing first. Cutting to length. Drilling holes in wood and metal. Making sure everything is square. Temporary M8 bolt and socket wrench were used to check if the castors can be easily installed. I totally forgot about this curved edge. The assembly will be held together with 7 bolts, not 8. Looks good even without the castors. Applying wood oil wasn’t necessary but I couldn’t leave it…
Paint storage platform
Getting the most out of the storage space I have. This platform will be used for storing paint and it will be placed just above the lawn mower. These will be the legs: They will be supported by 2 bars across the unit’s front and back. The next day started with sanding and preparing for the pocket holes. I used screws for outdoor use just because I had to get rid of them. The platform will never be exposed to the rain, but those screws were under my feet. Front and back supporting bars were next. Top – cutting, sanding…
The inner edges
The sanding starts from 240 grit. Coarse sandpaper, like 120 and lower, would only cause chipping. These small sanding bands come only in a very few grits, so I actually don’t have too much choice. The 240 one is followed by 400 grit. Cleaning the bands is necessary. This little brush does the job perfectly. The bands have to be replaced from time to time. When the sanding is completed it is time to use felt wands and polishing compound. Last stage is always wet. Cerium oxide has never failed. After few hours it’s ready. If it’s not a drinking…
This wasn’t the first attempt to cut these square oil bottles. I’ve been using this oil for a while for 2 reasons – it is good oil and of course to get the bottles themselves. Surprisingly this time I successfully cut all of them! No rejects! I didn’t remove the labels because it had always failed. But not this time – I still can’t believe it – 100% success! DIY dry grinding station was set and ready to go. Some dust was created and trapped by cobwebs. Top and outside edges are smooth and polished. Sandpaper from 40 to 3000…
It is always a good idea to have one and it is very satisfying to make one! All you need is a knife that is about to end in a bin. And some tools. Cut and prepared for polishing. The knife doesn’t have to be insanely sharp. It’s just a marking knife, single bevel because I’m right-handed. The drill rotates slower than the angle grinder and this is crucial to get a fine polish. Grits from 40 to 3000 were used. It works. Quite nice line is marked and ready for cutting or chiseling.
Cut and polished bottles
Mostly bottles, jars from time to time. Various colours, shapes and sizes. Exchanged for pallets and building materials. Never sold any of them. Maybe the asking price was a little too much for some people. And it wasn’t cheap! To cut the bottles I’m using a jig, homemade, second generation, the first one couldn’t manage square bottles and jars. Removing the labels from the bottles is also a challenge. Water only works sometimes, but they’re there to help: This one looks like it’s been cut in a half, not sure if this is the same bottle – probably 2 different…