It’s made of a single piece of hardwood, sycamore (maple) tree that I cut down last year in my backyard. It’s charred with shou sugi ban, it’s waxed and it has 3 legs.
I had to make sure that the wood will char nicely before I started the project. It did so I set up my router flattening jig. Due to the height of the material I used my workbench legs as the rails. The top and the bottom are parallel to each other. Also, the legs are at 90º to the base. I removed some material with a router and finished the grooves with a chisel.
Next I cut the legs to size and broke the sharp edges with a file.
Once I charred the wood I realised that it could be a good idea to remove the bark! I used a small axe and then fired up my blowtorch again.
With a nylon brush, I prepared the wood for waxing. Once waxed I used my heat gun to melt down any excess. The angle brackets I used were originally countersunk from the other side, so I couldn’t use countersunk screws. I drove pocket hole screws instead.